We all know the song that goes “On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me….”. I mean I have heard it a million times but have you ever know what the song I about?
The twelve days of Christmas is from December 25 to January 6 when the wise men visit Jesus. The reason for the song was to teach religion. Each day has a symbol!
1. The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus.
2. The two turtledoves are the Old and New Testaments.
3. Three French hens stand for faith, hope and love.
4. The four calling birds are the four Gospels.
5. The five gold rings recall the Hebrew Torah (Law), or the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. The six geese a-laying stand for the six days of creation.
7. The seven swans a-swimming represent the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
8. The eight maids a-milking are the eight Beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing are the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit.
10. The ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments.
11. Eleven pipers piping represent the eleven faithful Apostles.
12. Twelve drummers drumming symbolize the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostles Creed.
So now you know! I heard my priest talking about it in his homily on Sunday and I wanted to share. I got all of the days from http://holytrinitynewrochelle.org/yourti102896.html go check the post out it talks more about the song too!
If you have any questions or just need a friend feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!